Soccer Week 1 & 2 Recap

By Jake Goloboy Sports EditorThe Sharon boys’ soccer team has state championship hopes, but after two wins and three losses, the team has been inconsistent.  Home and away, the Eagles look like two different teams. At home, they have allowed only one goal –  away, they have let up 9.

“Talent is not the issue. If we come out every game like we came at our two games at home–the sky’s the limit,” said Varsity Coach Bryan Kelly.

In the season opener, the Eagles went down 2-0 in the first 20 minutes of the game against King Philip. The Eagles rebounded with two quick goals at the end of the first half to put them back in the contest. After tying the game before halftime, the boys came out flat in the second half and fell by a score of 4-2.

Senior captain Andrew Filipkowski stayed positive after the game. “I think there are some bright spots to take from the game. The resilience we had coming back from down two shows that we have the mental toughness we need for the future,” he said.

The next game was the first win for the Eagles this season. They played Attleboro at home in a close contest that ended 1-0 from a late goal scored by senior Jake Goloboy. Assistant Coach Brian Dunlea says the defense was the focus of the game. “The way they communicated gave Attleboro no chance,” he said.        

Unfortunately, the solid performance at home was followed up by another away let-down at Franklin with a loss of 4-1. Junior Oliver Hu says the team was fatigued the entire game. Franklin dominated the possession and the Eagles could produce anything positive in the offensive third of the field. Senior Lucas Allaria scored a late goal, but the goal couldn’t salvage the performance.  

“This is yet another example of what happens when we come out slow. We can’t play like this and expect to win a game against any team, especially one as dominant as Franklin,” said senior Dean Kantor.        

Two days after the Franklin game came a much better performance by the Eagles against divisional rival Milford. Juniors Oliver Hu and Ian Camilli both scored quickly after substitutions in the first half. The defense was solid for the remainder of the game, and the Eagles held on to a 2-0 lead the rest of the way.

“This game shows again what we can do when we play as a team. If the defense plays this well for the rest of the season we should have some great performances,” said senior captain Daniel Bender.

Monday’s game against Stoughton shifted concern from the defense to the offense of the Eagles. The team started out with one striker in the first half and had few opportunities. The second half came with a switch to a two striker formation. The Eagles had more scoring chances than before, but still were unable to break through. Stoughton scored with 2 minutes left to down the Eagles 1-0 at home.

The team is hoping to improve their record in their away game against the Norwood Mustangs on Saturday.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *